Finally a 3D printer for the layman, our newest flagship product Asterid is a advanced additive manufacturing device capable of high resolution 3D prints. With three resolution settings (extra fine, fine and course) and a whopping 512 cubic inch build volume, our Asterid Desktop 3D printer is the simplest, fastest and cost effective tool available for making quality 3D models.
Asterid Model 1000S Features and Specifications (Starting at $499 dollars)
All orders will ship in approximately 4-6 weeks.
• Build volume 8" x 8" x 8"
• Uses 1.75mm plastic filament
• Strong extruded aluminum and wood frame with built-in filament spool holder
• Fully assembled & tested
• Plate glass build surface covered in blue painters tape
• 120W power supply
• Open design (no outer cover or door provided)
• Z-axis ACME lead screws standard
• X and Y-axis utilize GT2 timing belts for high efficiency and low backlash
• Optional LCD display with SD card reader for computer-free 3D printer control
• Optional SDRamps module with Micro SD card reader for tetherless 3D printing
• Open-source software supplied on CD and downloadable from our website, please see our how-to guides on How to Install the software
All printers will ship with a software CD, but the software is also available to download via your internet connection.
• Fully configured Pronterface and Slic3r software which uses stereolithography (.STL) files as input
• We supply software for Windows computers, but open source software for the Mac & Linux is available
What's in the box?
• Plastic Scribbler Asterid Desktop 3D Printer, fully assembled & tested
• Software CD
• Quick start guide
• Fused Filament Fabrication (FFF)
• Ramps v1.4 Motherboard
• Physical dimensions: 18.625" x 18.625" x 18.625" (L x W x H)
• Extruder moves in the vertical plane (Z-X), build platform moves in the horizonal plane (X-Y)
• Spring loaded geared extruder with .4mm nozzle
• ABS filament recommended, but extruding PLA or other thermoplastics is possible.
• Power supply works on both US voltage (115VAC) or European voltage (230VAC).
• .4mm nozzle diameter (replaceable nozzle)
• All metal hot-end
• Epocs NTC 100k 1% thermistor used on both hotend and HBP
• 3 layer height settings: .3mm, .2mm, .1mm (other layer heights possible)
Here are some sample prints using our Asterid series model 1000HB 3D printer:
The below cupcake model was 3D printed with a 0.095mm layer height.
All of our printers are supplied completely assembled and ready to use out-of-the-box. We'll assemble everything from the electronics to the hot-end and wrap it all together with an extruded aluminum frame. In fact, all you need to do to get started when you receive your Asterid 3D printer is unpack it, install the software & filament and start printing!
In addition, since our 3D printers are completely open source, they'll work with all your favorite open source software. In fact, to get you started right away, we'll have three slic3r profiles configured for different print settings, fine, medium and course and we'll supply software for Windows compatible computers with every printer we sell.
The most important part of a 3D printer is the extruder and we've put a lot of effort into designing the best extruder possible. Our extruders use a standard Makerbot style drive wheel mated to a NEMA 17 high-torque stepper motor using two GT2 timing pulleys and a belt. The timing pulleys create more torque and deliver backlash free gearing which make for great prints.