Finally a 3D printer for the layman, our newest flagship product Asterid is a advanced additive manufacturing device capable of high resolution 3D prints. With three resolution settings (fine, medium and course) and a whopping 608 cubic inch build volume, the Asterid Desktop 3D printer is the simplest, fastest and most cost effective tool available for making quality 3D models.
Asterid Model 2000 Series Features and Specifications (Starting at $499 dollars)
- Fully assembled & tested
- Build volume 8" x 8" x 9.5"
- Uses standard 1.75mm NON-proprietary plastic filament (ABS or PLA recommended)
- Strong extruded aluminum and wood frame with built-in filament spool holder
- Heated Borosilicate glass build surface (2100 and up)
- 240W power supply (2100 and up -- model 2000 has a 120W power supply)
- Heater cartridge hot end heating element -- heavy duty construction provides high dielectric strength as well as shock and vibration resistance
- Z-axis Tr8*8, 4 Start, 2mm Pitch, 8mm precision trapezoidal(metric) lead screws. Pitch and diameter are a perfect combination of high torque and speed -- uniform, smooth, precise threads of superior linear motionACME lead screws standard -- uniform, smooth, precise threads for superior linear motion
- X and Y-axis utilize GT2 timing belts -- curvilinear tooth profile provides excellent positioning characteristics, noise reduction, high shear strength, and improved load carrying capacity
- Smart Controller with SD card reader for computer-free 3D printer control (2200 and up)
- SDRamps module with Micro SD card reader for tetherless 3D printing (Optional on 2000 and 2100 and standard on 2200)
• Open-source software supplied on CD and downloadable from our website, please see our how-to guides on How to Install the software
All printers will ship with a software CD, but the software is also available to download via your internet connection.
• Fully configured Pronterface and Slic3r software which uses stereolithography .STL, .OBJ or .AMF files as input
• We supply software for Windows computers, but open source software for the Mac & Linux is available
What's in the box?
• Plastic Scribbler Asterid Desktop 3D Printer, fully assembled & tested
• Software CD
• USB Cable
• Fused Filament Fabrication (FFF)
• Ramps v1.4 Motherboard
• Physical dimensions: 18.625" x 18.625" x 18.625" (L x W x H)
• Extruder moves in the vertical plane (Z-X), build platform moves in the horizonal plane (X-Y)
• Spring loaded direct drive extruder for fast, quality prints
• ABS filament recommended, but extruding PLA or other thermoplastics is possible.
• Power supply works on both US voltage (115VAC) or European voltage (230VAC).
• .4mm nozzle diameter (replaceable nozzle)
• All metal hot-end -- allows for experimentation with exotic plastics
• Epocs NTC 100k 1% thermistor used on both hotend and HBP
• 3 layer height settings: .3mm, .2mm, .1mm (other layer heights possible)
• Full 30 day money back guarantee. If you're unhappy with the purchase of your 3D printer for whatever reason, just return it for a full refund. All you pay is return shipping.
Here are some sample prints using our Asterid series 3D printers:
The below model was 3D printed with a 0.095mm layer height.
All of our printers are supplied completely assembled and ready to use out-of-the-box. We'll assemble everything from the electronics to the hot-end and wrap it all together with an extruded aluminum frame. In fact, all you need to do to get started when you receive your Asterid 3D printer is unpack it, install the software & filament and start printing!
In addition, since our 3D printers are completely open source, they'll work with all your favorite open source software. In fact, to get you started right away, we'll have three slic3r profiles configured for different print settings, fine, medium and course and we'll supply software for Windows compatible computers with every printer we sell.
The most important part of a 3D printer is the extruder and we've put a lot of effort into designing the best extruder possible. Our extruders use a standard Makerbot style drive wheel mated to a NEMA 17 high-torque stepper motor. Our direct-drive style of extruder is backlash-free and allows for superior print speeds.